Saturday 28 January 2012

Algonquin Park, Ontario

Despite being called crazy by many people I know I went with the University of Guelph Wildlife Club and stayed at the Wildlife Research Station in Algonquin Park for a weekend of somewhat camping.

On the way to the WRS on Friday Jan 27th, we saw many Red-tailed hawks and some snow buntings near Fergus. I very much regret not getting pictures of them now but we were just too excited to get to Algonquin.

In Algonquin the first wildlife we encountered were a Red fox that I almost hit on the road and wolves calling back to our howls from the WRS near Lake Saskegewan. Two packs were calling back and forth with us and between themselves. I don't mind losing face as a writer here because >it sounded so incredibly cool< and I can't find any good words to describe it right now.

Day 1
The next morning a group of us get up with the sun and drive west of the Hwy 60 corridor to find: Goldfinches, Red Crossbill, White-winged Crossbill, Black-Capped Chickadees, a Raven, Pine Siskins, Red-breasted Nuthatches and Repolls.
Pine siskins
Bad angle of a red breasted nuthatch

Between Mew Lake Campground and the airfield we saw Bluejays and Evening Grosbeaks.

I realize there are very few not great  pictures of this morning... I forgot to change my camera. I am kicking myself.
 

On Opeongo Road we saw Grey Jays and a Leucistic Black-Capped Chickadee.

Leucistic chickadee
Grey jay
After going to Opeongo we went to the visitor centre where I changed my camera. We added hairy woodpecker to our count and saw many more evening grosbeaks. During our stay at the visitor centre I actually saw a group of what I think were scouts throwing snowballs at birds in the feeders. I think everyone with me was a little bit enraged by this and I actually went out and told the kids off. Immediately the birds came back and I was able to snag a picture of a few birds with my partially charged camera.


Male and female evening grosbeaks

Our group went to Whitney in search for Bohemian Waxwings. They were unfortunately not around probably due to the fact it had started snowing and even the mouring doves were hiding.

We met up with other wildlife club members and hiked the Spruce Bog Trail. On this trail we didn't see many birds but did find a pine marten in a tree. 
Pine Marten
 And then cars got stuck in the parking lot... and there was some snowball fights etc. 

 
 
After warming up and goofing around for a while back in the cabins and around a fire we tried another wolf howl. This time with more people and no success.
Watching Attenborough in the cabin
Cards
Fire that took a while to start but kept going for a long time once it did.

Day 2
We woke up early but there wasn't anything new to see this morning. We hiked from the WRS around Bat Lake trail. Natasha did find a brown creeper nest near the lookout. A group saw a Boreal chickadee but I unfortunately missed it. We got a good look are red crossbills again. I was hoping to see a black-backed woodpecker but no such luck.
The girls in my car

 Breaking in the trail....

Taking a break
Group photo!

We made it to the top
Bat Lake
WRS and my little car :)
 We tried to get into Mizzy Lake for a second walk but the road was too bad and we couldn't get it. I have to say I am proud of my little car for being able to turn around and get out of there without getting stuck.  On our way out of the park we stopped at Whiskey Rapids trail for another short hike. We saw a group of chickadees but no Boreals showed up. This was a gorgeous walk despite no success with birds.
Whiskey rapids trail

Leaving late and the spastic storms on the way back to Guelph meant no wildlife was seen on the ride home.

No comments:

Post a Comment