Friday 6 May 2011

Costa Rica 2011 Part 9: Pacific Coast

Leaving Palo Verde, I saw roseated spoonbill, great egrets, tiger heron, wood stork, turquoise browed mot mot, pygmy owl and a roadside hawk.  We headed for our final destination on the coast

On the Pacific coast we stayed at Villa Huetares. The hotel is within walking distance from the beach.

The view from our room
Snorkeling on the pacific coast we saw frigate birds, pelicans, brown boobies, octopi, needlefish, blue angelfish, three species of pufferfish, ocean triggerfish, blueheaded wrasse,yellowtail damselfish, dolphins and flying fish. I didn't see any squirelfish, grunts or blue tangs here.
The beach
I also found out the hard way that I am very sensitive to jellyfish. There were a lot of them and I felt very sick and luckily Liz gave me allergy medicine. I dumped a whole lot of vinegar on it but even hours after getting out of the water it felt painful long after everyone else felt fine.



Some of the girls
 

 The water seamed colder and there was a lot less coral and more rocks. The water was also deeper.

I found it very amusing that birds actually chase fishing boats and steal food from them. 
Birds following a fishing boat
It was sad that this was our last destination. The next day we had a 5.5 hour drive to San Jose where we stayed overnight. We went out to a bar called Cabana as a final hurrah before flying out the next morning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment