Friday 1 June 2012

Road to Halifax

I have always been in love with water...Since I was very young I would just be drawn towards the ocean, rivers or lakes. I love the coast and Halifax is somewhere I have dreamed of living all my life. All this being said I couldn't pass up the chance to go to Halifax to visit old friends since it was only 8 hours away compared to the usual 16 hours.

I leave for Halifax and take the scenic route. Usually when I hear someone in my family 'took the scenic route', I assume they got lost.  However I fully intentionally drove an extra 2 hours so that I could be closer to the coast for the drive. This wasn't a great idea because with limited to get there to meet up with my friend I watched tons of gorgeous scenery pass me by with no chance to get a closer look. The scenery was definitely worth the extra time but any scenic route out east is far longer than the highway routes.


Steep rock cliffs surrounded me on both sides and valleys and hills covered with dark conifer trees speckled with the occasional lighter deciduous.The ecosystem was very much like that in Northern Ontario. It was very pristine and untouched.



As I ventured south conifers became less common and the area got somewhat flatter but nowhere near the Canadian prairies flatness. The road between Bathurst and Turo was my favorite part of the drive. Before Monton there were large hills with many lakes and rivers. After Moncton there was huge areas of spruce forest and bogs larger than I have ever seen before. Beautiful flowers were all around the bogs edges.
Rhododendrons

On the drive there I saw:
Osprey, RWBL, Sparrows, Rock doves, Gulls, Terns and possibly what looked like a Peregrine Flying?  Not so sure on that one but the wing shape and size looked about right.


No comments:

Post a Comment