Saturday 12 January 2019

Tayrona National Park, Colombia

I visited Tayrona National Park twice during my time in the area. One day was spent at the beaches and mainly snorkeling around 'La Piscina'. The other I hiked up to the native village and saw as much of the park as I could cram. Frankly I walked so much that I got blisters despite my lovely hiking boots being extremely comfortable.
Tayrona National Park
Tayrona National Park

Tayrona National Park
My first day in the park started late because of the massive lines to get in the the fact the park doesn't even open its gates until 8am and also shitty. By that I mean I actually got pretty much full force shat on by a Yellow-crowned Night Heron.
Yellow-crowned Night Heron
The crowds flock to the beaches and the trails are busy. The beaches you can't swim at are completely empty but the few where it is safe to swim are packed with people. On a few rocks far away from people there were terns, vultures, kingfishers and grackles.
Royal Tern
Black Vulture
The boardwalk areas on the trail to Arrecifes Beach were great places to see Rainbow Whiptails and Skinks.
Tayrona National Park

Rainbow Whiptail
Monkeys were also really common to see on the trails and these Santa Marta White-fronted Capuchin (Cebus albifrons ssp. malitiosus) and Howler Monkeys were pretty easy to get a good view of. 
Santa Marta White-fronted Capuchin (Cebus albifrons ssp. malitiosus)
The trail up to the village is steep and rocky but very well maintained. It is not an easy trail but it is beautiful. On the afternoon hike we saw pretty much the same things that I had seen at Kankui Hostal and along the river but there were so many geckos climbing over the rocks.
Yellow-headed Gecko

No comments:

Post a Comment