Monday 30 April 2012

Jamaica Day 1: Arriving in Jamaica

After a week of packing and moving, a weekend of birding and camping I finally head to the long awaited Jamaica. Getting there in the off-season is long indeed. Being there 3 hours early as recommended for international flights from Pearson airport in Toronto meant waking up at 2:30am.  I managed to sleep on the plane which is quite unusual for me.

The layover in Miami was quite long and although the airport has a lot of window shopping to offer (window shopping only because I can't afford to buy any of the billions of shiny things in the stores) I just wanted to sleep. Their benches ALL have arm rests and there was no hope of that unless I settled for sleeping on the ground. The next flight took me to Montego Bay, Jamaica where I waited for Aurora to arrive 4 hours later. This wait involved many games of cards and a few Jamaican Pattys.

There were swallows, boat-tailed grackles, butterflies around despite the tropical storm that had blown in. This is definitely rainy season in Jamaica. The hour long drive to Negril showed how important blue crab migration is to so many people. Trucks, cars and vans packed with people drove slowly up the road and we saw people with bags full of blue crab.

When I arrive in Negril and go to unpack and there was a sheet of paper in my luggage informing me that TSA (US border services) had gone through my bag.This was my first layover in the USA and also the first time this as ever happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment