Tuesday 1 May 2012

Jamaica Day 2: A full day in paradise

In case I haven't mentioned before, I will take any chance I get to escape to warmer climates. I was made to live in the tropics. I fit in well here and I love it here. The food alone would be reason to come back to Jamaica. A breakfast of fried garlic breadfruit and plantain before heading to the beach. Spent the day relaxing at Margaritaville.

 There was a few southern rays that came quite close to the beach. Mockingbirds, American redstarts, Magnificent frigate, turkey vultures and an American kestrel were all seen right at Margaritaville.

In the afternoon we (Aurora, Chris and I) returned to our friend Hesran's house where we saw many anole males displaying and fighting for nearby females.





Chris Law taking pictures of the anoles
 Hesran has transplanted orchids on his property that are just coming into bloom. They are magnificent!
Dendrobium orchid sp.
Oncidium orchid sp.
 I chased a large grey and black scarab beetle flying around the yard but it never landed for a good picture.

That night Chris and I walked around the yard looking for frogs. We saw many roaches, a few cane toads and two species of tree frogs.
Jamaican Rock Frog (Eleutherodactylus cundalli)

Cuban Flathead Frog (Eleutherodactylus planirostris)

Cuban Flathead Frog?

Cane toad (Bufo marina)

Cuban Flathead Frog


No comments:

Post a Comment