Sunday 4 November 2012

Quepos and Manuel Antonio- Day Two

A quick walk before breakfast to go out birding was quite productive but the dogs at the houses nearby go nuts and I feel bad for waking everyone up at 6am. The short list for the morning is:

Scarlet-rumped Tanager
Scarlet Rumped Tanager
Costa Rican Swift
Collared Swift
Collared Swift
Black Vulture
Turkey vulture
Parakeets
Cattle Egret
Yellow-crowned Euphonia
White-collared Seedeater
White-collared Seedeater
Tropical or Western Flycatcher

and many others to be identified...

Violaceous Trogon
After a lovely breakfast at Villa Jaquelina I headed to the National Park again. This time it was Chris Oli and I. We walked the waterfall trail first and saw more whiptails, basilisk and anoles than yesterday. My birding highlight of the day was also on this trail. A brilliant flash of yellow caught my eye and I photograph this bird before I even realize what I'm looking at. The Violaceous Trogon sat on a branch politely being photographed and admired for a few minutes before returning to it's buisness.  A Riverside Wren sang a beautiful tune  to us walking through the forest.

 

 
At the waterfall we found a large spider in the cracks and a wet forest toad.
Chris and I beside the waterfall

Oli and the toad

Climbing higher than the waterfall and heading upstream was gorgous but we didn't see much else and it was getting quite overgrown. The way back was nice and groups of Howler Monkeys and Capuchins crossed the stream in terrifying leaps across branches and vines above us.
Howler Monkeys
Sloth hanging out at the beinging of our trail
Oli left us to talk to people about surfing the area (which I think he might be disapointed with compared to Australia). Chris and I did the one last trail loop in the park that we hadn't done the day before. Sendera Punta Catedral had some gorgeou view and great habitat but I suggest to anyone else to do this walk FIRST because it is up a fairly large slope and quite tiring after a morning spent hiking. We couldn't enjoy it as much as we wanted to because we mostly wanted to get home and rest. We did see and adorable new species > Many Spotted Dwarf Gecko right on the trail.

Many Spotted Gecko with regernerating tail
Tonight was a much quieter night at the hostel and we didn't try to hard to find anything out at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment