Monday 19 November 2012

The Sickness - Day 17

White-collared Manikin (Adult Male)
I am sick and without any medication to reduce symptoms I missed out on turtle census, shorebird census and herp census today.

Luckily due to bad weather I didn't miss out on much other than wetter clothing which I'm sure would have not helped my illness. I did get to see a lifer bird in the garden. The Olive-backed Euphonia is a small bird with a bright yellow head and green body. Unfortunately despite my good view of it I didn't get any decent pictures. The White-collared Manikin and many other birds returned to the garden like any other day and I was able to see bright flashes of colour and hear musical songs (and less appealing songs) all day.


However, elsewhere on Cano Palma property a common predator was lurking in the corners. Large female golden orb weaving spiders had created webs over a meter in diameter. They were gorgeous creatures with spectacular shining webs. Despite the fears of many, their venom is not as toxic as other species of spiders and they pose little harm to humans (unless the individual is allergic).
Golden Orb Weaver (Nephila)

No comments:

Post a Comment